Am I at risk for a stroke?
When evaluating your risk for stroke, consider the following:
- Age: Stroke affects people of all ages. Talk with your physician to determine the most appropriate age at which to be screened for stroke and other vascular conditions.
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Lack of exercise
- Irregular heartbeat
- Family history of atherosclerosis or stroke
- See your doctor if you are at risk or experience a ministroke
- Maintain normal blood pressure levels
- Stop smoking
- Control cholesterol levels
- Maintain a healthy weight
- See a vascular surgeon if Carotid Artery Disease is diagnosed, or to be tested for this condition.