Stroke Screenings & Services
Prevention is key when it comes to vascular health. Because vascular diseases often show no symptoms and can go undetected for years, proactive screenings can make a life-saving difference. Getting screened today increases the chance of identifying vascular disease early and reduces the need for invasive surgery.
Screenings are non-invasive and painless. Using ultrasound technology, the screening examines: the carotid arteries of the neck, the abdomen (aorta) and the lower extremities to check for peripheral arterial disease (PAD).
- Carotid artery screening looks for a buildup of plaque, the most common cause of strokes.
- Abdominal screening examines the aorta for any signs of weakening or bulging that could signify an aneurysm.
- PAD screening evaluates the lower extremities for plaque buildup that could lead to pain or limb loss.
When a patient experiences a stroke, the HCM Stroke Center provides:
- Medical therapies for stroke treatment and stroke prevention like “clot buster” medication or anti-platelet drugs
- Swift triage, diagnosis and treatment within the Emergency Department
After a stroke and during recovery, HCM provides:
- Rehabilitation services such as inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy
- Support services like pastoral care and social services
- Nutrition counseling
- Health and stroke screenings