Student Volunteer Program
Who are HCM Student Volunteers?
Students 16 years or older who assist with a variety of needs in our medical facilities. This program offers an opportunity to preview careers in the health care fields.
What are the mandatory requirements?
- Age 16 years or older by June 1, 2018
- Complete and submit the Student Application Form.
- Attend an orientation session to be scheduled. If under 18 then a parent or guardian must also attend or set up an appointment with Linda Simonsen.
- A TB test is required. If, after acceptance, immunizations are required, they will be provided by HCM and are free of charge.
- Four-hour morning or afternoon shifts are recommended. Weekend shifts are also available.
- A minimum of 60 hours of service over a year is requested.
- Note that returning Student Volunteers do not have to complete an application or interview process. More service choices are also available.
What services could HCM Student Volunteers perform?
- Greeting and escorting from front desk.
- Greet and help manage flow of incoming patients in admitting lobby.
- Assist with reception and clerical duties in the medical records, business, and physicians group offices.
- Assist with purchasing, stocking, and delivery of supplies throughout the hospital.
- If assigned to Hospice service you may participate in nursing home visitation, flower delivery, and other special tasks.
What are the benefits of being a HCM Student Volunteer?
- Gain work experience.
- Make friends and meet new people.
- Educational sessions and hands-on learning opportunities.
- Enhance college and scholarship applications.
- Help with career decision making.
- Experience working in a values-based, Baldridge Award winning hospital.
- And most important – Enjoy the satisfaction that comes from helping others!
HCM Summer Student Volunteer Checklist and Parental Consent Form 2018 (pdf)