Volunteer at the Hospital
In 1971 the hospital opened with 77 active, female volunteers. Their duties included ironing sheets for patient beds, working the switchboard, passing out snacks to patients in the evening, and staffing the information desk.
Today, both men and women volunteer in the hospital. Volunteer opportunities include interaction with patients, greeter, clerical opportunities, working with visitors, delivering food and flowers, pre and post surgical support, preventive maintenance on hospital equipment, retail merchandising, and many more. If you would like to learn more about volunteering at HCM Hospital please call (830) 997-1307.
Jobs at the Hospital
- Medical Records Support - Use your data entry and clerical skills in this busy department.
- Patient Visitation - Be the bright spot in a patient's day. No direct patient care, just a friendly voice and gentle touch to brighten a patient's day.
- Reception Desk and Lobbies - Use your people skills welcoming patients, visitors and families to the hospital, taking them where they need to go.
- Rehab Clinic - Extroverted, mature, positive, service-oriented individuals willing to assist staff and patients in their physical recovery after surgery or illness.
- Special Talent Volunteers - What’s your special talent? Let us know. We would love to use you in our organization.
- Surgical Waiting Room - Greet family members and visitors. Facilitate information flow from surgery regarding surgery patients. Maintain supplies within the waiting room to ensure everyone’s comfort while waiting.
- Teen Volunteers - Mature, motivated teens interested in assisting wherever needed. After school and weekend opportunities available.
- Trolley Drivers - Be outside and drive a 6 passenger golf cart, picking up patients and visitors needing assistance getting to the building and back to their vehicle.
- Wellness Center Desk - Enjoy fitness and a busy volunteer opportunity? Use your people skills at The Wellness Center, welcoming visitors and assisting them with information and direction as needed.
- Whimsies Gift Shop - Love shopping, clothes, and gifts? Consider the hospital gift shop. A place for people to relax and rejuvenate. Must be willing to use a cash register and handle money.
- Diabetic Education - Work closely with the Diabetic Educator by making appointments and follow up calls.
- Pharmacy – Good eyes are a plus when checking medication labels, dates and stickers. This position has flexible hours.
- Outpatient Care – Work with a small nursing team in a busy department. Responsibilities include clerical, patient transfer by wheelchair and nurse support as requested.
- Emergency Room – Be a calm presence in a stressful department. Communicate with patients and their families, and support nursing staff as requested.
- Marketing – Be part of the team that spreads the word about our wonderful hospital through social and written media. Help organize educational outreach programs into surrounding communities.
- Nursing/Clinical Area – Volunteer in a busy nursing station helping with clerical items, phone answering, and communication with patients and family.
- Material Services - Stock and deliver supplies to various departments.
- Business Office - Use your clerical skills to assist staff with daily duties of administrative type services.
“Whimsies” is the name of our gift shop that is conveniently located right inside the doors to the main lobby at Hill Country Memorial Hospital. It’s a perfect name for a shop that offers merchandise that can be whimsical and fun, but somewhat practical as well.
For example, the shop stocks personal care items that can make patients or family members more comfortable during a hospital stay. Simple snacks and gourmet candies are sold during the regular hours of 9 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
Read the full story!